Sunday, April 02, 2006

When is a dollar not a dollar?

A bit late for an April Fool’s, but while my brother and father fight it out between them to see what make and type my new toy is, here’s one for the rest of you:

Here is what is in my wallet today:





























Anywhere else in the world, I would be relatively rich. I could buy shoes, a nice meal in a posh restaurant, concert tickets, a painting, fancy champagne, or maybe even one of those Linux-based laptops for children in poor countries. In the DRC, however, these three bank notes buy me absolutely nothing. Not even a loaf of bread. Yet everyone accepts dollars here, just not these particular dollars. Why not?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

They only accept fake dollars.

Anonymous said...

They are old style dollars which DRC and the Philippines in their wisdom have decided not to acknowledge anymore - probably because most of them are fake or easy to fake.
Cynthia

Anonymous said...

They're humpty backed jumped up never come down waste of space good for nothing loser b****ds and I've always said that thank you very much for asking
Habibi Dan

Anonymous said...

They do not accept those particular bills since they are the new bills/models that have been put out into circulation. They are still using the older version bills in the DRC.
Michael

Anonymous said...

Sorry...but I have to say...this time I have no idea!! lol
AM x x

Anonymous said...

We have no idea ... when will you tell us and let us feel less stupid (or become more intelligent, as you like)??!!
bisous,
Regane