Thursday, April 06, 2006

Of parrots and sparrows

Today I discovered that my blog should have been called "Nayembaka"; that I got my tenses wrong. It was meant to mean "I sing", but instead it means "I've just sung". Oh well. Nayémbi sounds better anyway. And yes, this is just a lame excuse to show off my newly acquired Lingala skills, so there.

Libanga lusui chaku, moineau kosekate.
(Something like, "If a parrot can be hit by a stone, sparrow keep quiet.")

-- Lingala proverb

One scribbled on a Post-It, stuck just above the picture of F. grinning at me on my desk (see what a good wife I am?). One that reminds me to keep quiet during certain meetings with certain remarkably undiplomatic diplomats. An important skill, and one which I am learning to fine-tune although it definitely doesn’t come naturally to me. I say no more.

No comments: