Sunday, July 09, 2006

An inch...

… is as good as a mile.

Well, it just goes to show how much I know about football: poor Trezeguet was anything but the man tonight. And what a flamboyant way for Zizou to say his good-byes! Bring out the lip readers – I’m dying to know what Materazzi said to him to cause such wrath. As I desperately search the net for some early guesses as to what exactly happened, I wistfully chance upon this early report from a fellow blogger:

“It's 17:30 hrs CET and the fans have started to arrive at the stadium. Most of the France fans are wearing shirts with the name Zidane emblazoned across their backs and every Frenchman I spoke to is hoping Zizou will retire in style.”

Still, silly as he was tonight, Zizou will remain a legend, and France played well. But thank goodness it’s all over so we can reengage with the real world and reclaim our evenings! (Not so for my cousin in the US who has been enjoying a rare hiatus in trading madness as the trade floor tv screens were tuned to the Cup rather than Bloomsberg and the likes.)

Silly game.

No comments: